Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Series Thoughts, Part 2: Series I Plan to Finish

Thought of another, belatedly! I'll add them as I think of them.

This post will be about the series I have in progress that I am invested in and committed to finishing.

Series I Plan to Finish:

Middle Grade:

1) Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard series by Rick Riordan. Continuing Riordan's demigod theme, this is the story of a half-human son of a Norse god finding his heroic destiny. Only one book has been released so far, but if Riordan's past series are any indication it will run to five books. I was a little meh about book 1, but it's Riordan so I'm sure I'll finish it because The Son = Riordan Fanboy.

2) Trials of Apollo series by Rick Riordan. Ditto the above, except I LOVED book 1 and am impatiently waiting the next release. This one is about Apollo being turned into a fully mortal sixteen-year-old as a punishment by Zeus. He is a surprisingly delightful narrator.

3) The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series by Maryrose Wood. Historical Fiction with a fantastic twist, about a Victorian-era governess and her semi-feral and possibly cursed charges. I've read five books so far, and one more is forthcoming.

4) Family Fletcher series by Dana Alison Levy. Slice-of-life stories about a typical American family that happens to consist of two dads and four adopted sons. I've read both books that have been published thus far, and am fervently hoping there will be more.

Young Adult:

5) Illuminae Files series by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. Book 1 was one of my top reads of the year so far-- Science Fiction with a horror twist, about a pair of teenage ex-lovers evacuated from their colony planet and facing dangers in space on separate ships. Book 2 is coming out this fall.

6) Octavian Nothing duology by M.T. Anderson. A truly original tale about a slave in Colonial Boston being raised as a gentleman as part of a experiment. I recently finished book 1 and intend to read book 2.

7) Jackaby series by William Ritter. Historical Fantasy about an eccentric paranormal investigator and his plucky assistant, set in 1890's New England. I'm reading book 2 now, and I know book 3 is being released soon. There's also a short story which I own but haven't read yet. I think after I finish book 2 I'm going to start over with the series on audiobook and continue with it that way, because I think The Son would like it.

Adult:

8) Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. Mystery starring an 11-year-old Chemistry prodigy in 1950's England. Books 2 and 3 lagged for me, and I wasn't sure I was going to continue with it, but book 4 was amazing and I am totally hooked back in. I've read 6 books so far; there's book 7 and a short story already published, and book 8 coming out later this year.

9) Siri Paiboun Investigations by Colin Cotterill. Mystery starring a seventysomething army-doctor-turned-coroner in 1970's communist Laos. There have been 10 books so far, all of which I have read. Book 11 is coming out next month!

10) Jimm Juree Mysteries by Colin Cotterill. Yet another Mystery series, this one set in modern-day Thailand, and starring a sassy, thirtyish, female journalist forced to relocate to the sticks with her crazy family. I've read 3 books, and a fourth was just released this year.

11) Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. The family history and adventures of a young, genius, brittle-boned dwarf who becomes the General of a mercenary army. There are 21 books in this series so far; I have read 11.

12) Chalion series by Lois McMaster Bujold. Second-world Fantasy about politics and religion. There were three books years ago, and I always wished there were more. Now Bujold is self-pubbing novellas set in this world! I've read one, and now there's a new one. So I've read 3 books and 1 novella, with 1 novella to go.

13) Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. Napoleonic Wars with dragons. I've read 8 books, and have the last one left to go.

14) Elemental Blessings series by Sharon Shinn. Second-world Fantasy with a side of Romance. If Shinn's past series are any indication, this will run to five books. I've read 2 so far, and pre-ordered the paperback of book 3, which amazon now refuses to give me a delivery date for and I am FREAKING OUT about it.

15) Oxford Time Travel series by Connie Willis. Time travel meets academic bureaucracy! I've read 2 books, and have 2 more books and a novella to go.

16) MaddAddam trilogy by Margaret Atwood. Depressing futurism, yay! I've read 1 book and have 2 to go.

17) Illium duology by Dan Simmons. Godlike beings on Mars directing a Trojan War reenactment made up of resurrected humans. And then some giant robots crash-land there. It's awesome. I've read book 1 and have book 2 to go.

18) The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemison. Second-world Fantasy about race, power, and the relations between gods and humans. I'm reading book 3 now.

19) The Rook Files by Daniel O'Malley. A crazy mashup of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Thriller, and Monty Python-esque humor. I've read book 1 and didn't even realize there was a book 2 until this week. I think I'm going to hold off reading it, though; I've heard the plot revolves around terrorist attacks, which is hitting a bit too close to home right now.

20) Eli Monpress series by Rachel Aaron. Light, fast-paced Fantasy series with an interesting magic system and a charming thief as the central character. I've read book 1 and have 4 more to go.

21) The Expanse series by James A.A. Corey. Epic Space Opera crossed with Horror crossed with police procedural. These are HUGE books and they are coming out SO FAST. I've only read book 1, but intend to continue on with the series, which will be at 6 books come this fall.

22) Old Man's War series by John Scalzi. Military Science Fiction following the exploits of an elderly man who accepts a new, young body in exchange for ten years' service in the intergalactic military. There are 6 books and 2 short stories in the series; I've read the first 3 books.

23) Golden City series by J. Kathleen Cheney. Alternate Historical Fantasy set in fin-de-siecle Portugal. I've read 2 books and just ordered the most recent one. I have no idea if this next book will be the end, or if it will run longer than a trilogy.

24) Earthsea series by Ursula K. LeGuin. I know. LeGuin is arguably my favorite author, and I haven't finished one of her best-known series. I read book 1 of the original trilogy many years ago and didn't feel like I connected with it, but then again I was very much more into Science Fiction rather than Fantasy back then. Years later, I read the companion book of short stories set in Earthsea and loved it. I do intend to finish the original trilogy, which at this point will mean re-reading book 1 as I've totally forgotten it.

35) One Rose trilogy by Gail Dayton. Awesomely wacky Fantasy Romance with group marriage and godly possession. I've read book 1 and intend to continue.

Comics:

25) Saga. Science Fiction-ish world, with a plot that's like Romeo and Juliet five years later with a kid. I've read the first 5 volumes and am just waiting for my library to get volume 6.

26) Ms. Marvel. First generation, Pakistani-American, Muslim teenage girl in Jersey City who is also a superhero. I've read 4 volumes and am waiting for the library to get volume 5.

27) Giant Days. The mundane yet utterly gripping adventures of three best friends in their first year of University in the U.K. I've read 2 volumes and am waiting for the 3rd to be released this winter.

28) Rat Queens. Dungeons and Dragons meets Sex and the City. I've read 3 volumes and am waiting for volume 4 to be released.

29) Jedi Academy. Jedi Middle School. What's not to love? I thought this was done after book 3, but I see it's being rebooted with a new author/artist and new characters! The Son and I are psyched. I've read 3 volumes and am waiting for the new one to be released (this week, I think!).

30) Amulet. Middle Grade portal Fantasy about a girl who sets out to save her mom and winds up having to save an entire world. I've read 7 volumes and am waiting for the final volume to be released.

31) Three Thieves. Another Middle Grade Fantasy about a tightrope-walking sometimes-thief and her search for her long-lost twin brother. I've read 6 volumes and am waiting for the final volume to be released.

Web Comics:

32) Check, Please! One of my favorite discoveries of 2016. About a gay former ice dancer and enthusiastic amateur baker who winds up playing hockey at an elite New England college. So, so charming, with such endearing characters. I want it to update every day and go on forever.

33) Gunnerkrigg Court. The first web comic I ever read, and I will be reading it until the end. Robots and fairies and strong female characters at a very strange English boarding school.

34) Stand Still, Stay Silent. An ensemble piece about a ragtag band of misfits searching for ancient books in monster-ravaged, post-apocalytpic Scandinavia. That sounds grim, doesn't it? It's not; it's adorable.

1 comment:

  1. There are so many series I love on this list, so lots of reminders for rereading, and lots of suggestions for new books to read. My favorite Earthsea book was Tombs of Atuan, which I liked much more than A Wizard of Earthsea.

    --larkhome

    ReplyDelete