Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stuck

It should come as no surprise, given my lack of recent blog posts, that the writing is not going well.

Actually, it's beyond "not going well". The writing's not going, period.

Sure, there are some real-world factors at play. Work's picked up, and I now have a tutoring gig #3. This is a good thing, since we could certainly use the money. But I'm not getting those two-hour stretches of uninterrupted time anymore. After several weeks of insomnia, my body rebelled and I slept every moment I could for a week. And the world has provided plenty of bad news to distract me.

But really, the problem is that I'm stuck. It's not that I don't know what comes next; it's more like I feel like I can't write what comes next. I've lost faith in the story. I don't even want to think about it, because when I do, all I feel is a rising panic that I've wasted years of my life toiling over a novel that is irredeemably bad.

Ugh. I hate this. I've been here many times before. But this time, I don't want to let this dark period cost me more months or years of progress. I've had a few weeks of a break from the book. I'm reading a lot, which is the best thing for me-- it fills the well and gets me excited about fiction in general. The next step is to sloooowly start working on EN again, in as low-pressure a way as possible.

So here I state my pathetically modest goal: today I will open the EN file, and work for 15 minutes on some aspect of it. If I can't face going back to the scene where I floundered, that's fine; I can work from my list of little changes. But I need to touch the book every day, to keep reminding myself of what the book is and what I want it to be, so that when I find my way out of this creative desert to the green lands beyond, I can just plunge right back in and start moving forward again.

4 comments:

  1. I have no context to say this, since I don't even remotely believe your novel is bad, but I've actually never seen a page of it (although, if you want to send one....!) But here's what sometimes gets me through those periods: imagine this IS a bad novel. A lot of first novels are. Well, then, you have to finish it so that you've written your bad novel, and you can get started on your next one, which will be so much easier now that you know how to write a novel from beginning to end.

    Maybe that's not as reassuring to you. But a finished novel is always better than a half-finished one, right? Also (ahem) I REALLY want to read it. Like, really. Do it for your fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the pep talk! It does help. I think "do it for the FANS!" is going to become my new tongue-in-cheek mantra. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lianna, hang in there! You're in the dark moment of the journey, wondering if it will ever end. Keep the faith and finish. Even if it's bad. It's impossible to tell right now. Just trust your heart and go. Skip ahead if you need to and keep pushing forward. Take out some paper and jot what you think/want to happen where you're stuck and GO ON. Don't let this speedbump derail you!

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete