I ended May with 51,600 words under my belt (yay!) and having slid into a slump (boo!). I had a nagging feeling I was off track with the plot, and I couldn't seem to force myself forward through that feeling. I was also a bit distracted by participating in the Beta Project on Absolute Write, and almost making it into Query Kombat for Mender, which qualified me for a critique on my query and first page from one of the judges.
After a few days of not working on MotO-C and feeling like crap about it, I decided two things:
1) The goal of finishing the draft by June 12 (the date my laptop needs to go into the shop) was putting too much pressure on me and making me even more reluctant to work on it.
2) I needed to sit down and list out everything I could think of that would need to be addressed in revisions, including changes I wanted to make to the external story arc.
The good news is that these two things seem to have shaken me out of feeling slumpy. I've gone back to the two (short) chapters I completed toward the end of the month, where I started feeling like I was going off the rails, and have set about fixing them. I'm finding it's not a matter of changing what's there so much as it is adding substance to them. Today is the first day I've been back at work on it this week, and I've set a modest goal of 500 words. I've already written 400!
My goals for June:
1) Finish the first draft of MotO-C.
2) Make 5-10 hours' worth of edits to Mender and send out 10 more queries.
3) Finish the 3 books I had in progress when I dropped everything for MayNoWriMo.
4) Read 2 additional books for my Series Challenge (I'm at 12 books so far-- the halfway mark).