I did pretty well with my 2017 Series Reading Challenge. Here are the books I set out to read back on Jan. 1 2017 (books I read; books I didn't get to; series I decided to give up on after all)
1) League of Dragons by Naomi Novik, 9th and last book of the Temeraire series.
2) Blackout by Connie Willis, 3rd book of 4.5 in the Oxford Time Travel series.
3) Olympos by Dan Simmons, 2nd and last book of the Ilium duology.
4) The Turning Season by Sharon Shinn, 3rd and last book of the Shifting Circle trilogy.
5) The Spirit War by Rachel Aaron, 2nd book of 5 in the Eli Monpress series.
6) Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold, 11th (? hard to say) book of 21 in the Vorkosigan Saga series.
7) The Barbed Rose by Gail Dayton, 2nd book of 3 in the One Rose trilogy.
8) Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi, 4th book of 6 in the Old Man's War series.
9) The Shores of Spain by J. Kathleen Cheney, 3rd book of 4+ in the Golden City series.
10) Jeweled Fire by Sharon Shinn, 3rd book of 4+ in the Elemental Blessings series.
11) I Shot the Buddha by Colin Cotterill, 11th book of 11 in the Dr. Siri Investigations series.
12) The Amok Runners by Colin Cotterill, 4th book of 4+? in the Jimm Juree Mysteries series.
13) Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, 1st book (technically) in the MaddAddam series (I read book 2 first).
14) Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey, 2nd book of 6+ in The Expanse series.
15) Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley, 2nd book of 2+? in the Rook Files series.
16) Octavian Nothing: Kingdom on the Waves by M.T. Anderson, 2nd and last book in the Octavian Nothing duology
17) As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust by Alan Bradley, 7th of 8+? in the Flavia de Luce series
18) The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, 2nd book of 3 in the Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy.
19) The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner, 2nd book of 5+ in the Queen's Thief series.
20) Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer, 5th book of 7 in the Artemis Fowl series.
21) Ghostly Echoes by William Ritter, 3rd book of 3+ in the Jackaby series.
22) Fire by Kristin Cashore, 2nd book of 3 in the Graceling Realm trilogy.
23) Ms. Marvel: Super Famous by G. Willow Wilson, 5th book of 5+ in the Ms. Marvel series.
24) The Iron Hand by Scott Chantler, 7th and last book in the Three Thieves series.
Not too shabby! I also read a bunch more "next books" in various series, but as they weren't released by Jan. 1 2017, I didn't include them on this list.
I'm going to carry the three I didn't get to over onto the 2018 list. Again, these are series I'm currently reading, in which the next book in the series is out and available as of today, Jan. 1, 2018:
1) Octavian Nothing: Kingdom on the Waves by M.T. Anderson, 2nd and last book in the Octavian Nothing duology.
2) The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, 2nd book of 3 in the Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy.
3) Fire by Kristin Cashore, 2nd book of 3 in the Graceling Realm trilogy.
4) All Clear by Connie Willis, 4th book of the Oxford Time Travel series.
5) Ethan of Athos by Lois McMaster Bujold, part of the Vorkosigan Saga. I'm not sure what book # to call it, since it's more of a companion novel, but I own it and haven't read it yet, so it's next for me.
6) The Eternal Rose by Gail Dayton, book 3 of the One Rose trilogy.
7) The Rat-Catcher's Olympics by Colin Cotterill, book 12 in the Siri Paiboun Investigations series.
8) Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood, book 3 in the Maddaddam trilogy.
9) Abaddon's Gate by James S.A, Corey, book 3 of 6 in the Expanse series.
10) The Dire King by William Ritter, book 4 of 4 in the Jackaby series.
11) Ms. Marvel: Damage Per Second by G. Willow Wilson, Vol. 7 of the Ms. Marvel series.
12) A Gathering of Shadows by V. E. Schwab, book 2 of the Shades of Magic trilogy.
13) The Creature in the Case by Garth Nix, book 4? 5? of the Old Kingdom series.
14) A Closed and Common Orbit, by Becky Chambers, book 2 of the Wayfarers series.
15) Rose Point by M.C.A. Hogarth, book 2 of 4 in the Her Instruments series.
16) Windwitch by Susan Dennard, book 2 in the Witchlands trilogy.
17) The Swan Riders by Erin Bow, book 2 in the Prisoners of Peace series.
18) One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake, book 2 in the Three Dark Crowns trilogy.
19) The King of Attolia by Megan Whelan Turner, book 3 of 5+ in the Queen's Thief series.
20) Paper Girls Vol. 2 by Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang
21) Lumberjanes: A Bird's-Eye View by Shannon Watters, Vol. 7 of the Lumberjanes series
22) Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Ship of the Dead by Rick Riordan, book 3 in the Magnus Chase trilogy
23) The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 6: Who Run the World? Squirrels by Ryan North and Erica Henderson
Whew! In addition to all that, there are some "next books" being released this year that I'll probably end up reading as well, including:
Saga Vol. 8 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
The Grave's a Fine and Private Place by Alan Bradley, book 9 in the Flavia de Luce series.
Binti: The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor, book 3 in the Binti series
Giant Days Vol. 7 by John Allison and various artists
Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, book 3 in the Illuminae Files trilogy
Trouble Never Sleeps by Stephanie Tromly, book 3 in the Trouble series
Artificial Condition by Martha Wells, book 2 in the Murderbot Diaries series
The Case for Jamie by Brittany Cavallaro, book 3 in the Charlotte Holmes trilogy
Only Human by Sylvain Neuvel, bok 3 in the Themis Files trilogy
The Long-Lost Home by Maryrose Wood, 6th and final book in the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series
Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers, book 3 in the Wayfayers series
The Trials of Apollo: The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan
Finally, I've imposed a physical book buying ban until I get my shelf-sitters to 20 or less. Not counting the books I have in progress right now, there are 31 shelf-sitters. I can still take books out of the library, buy books for the kindle, and even buy physical copies of book club books if there's no other way to get them. But I can't buy the next Giant Days or go to the huge used book sale in April unless I've read 11 books from my shelf first.