Saturday, August 4, 2018

Series Thoughts, 2018: Series I Plan to Finish

This post will be about the series I have in progress that I am invested in and committed to finishing. New series to this list will again be in blue. I  will only write descriptions for the series I began since last July;  if you want to read more about the series I had in progress before last July, check out last year's post here.

Series I Plan to Finish:

Middle Grade:

1) Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard series by Rick Riordan. I've read 3 books and now a book of short stories is due out the.

2) Trials of Apollo series by Rick Riordan. I've read 3 books; looks like it'll be a 5-book series.

3) The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series by Maryrose Wood. I've read 5 books so far, and one more is forthcoming.


Young Adult:

4) Octavian Nothing duology by M.T. Anderson. I've read book 1 and intend to read book 2.

5) Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix. I've read 4 books and a novella; there's a new novel waiting for me.

6) The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner. I've read 3 books, and there are 2 more so far.

7) The Witchlands series by Susan Dennard. I've read 2 books so far; there's a novella out plus a new novel coming out at the end of the year.

8) Trouble series by Stephanie Tromly. I've read 2 books and am looking forward to the third.

9) Three Dark Crowns series by Kendare Blake. I've read 2 novels; there's a 3rd novel and a 2 novellas still to read.

10) Charlotte Holmes series by Brittany Cavallaro. That rarest of birds: a YA Investigative. The teenage descendants of Watson and Holmes meet at a boarding school in Connecticut, develop a somewhat twisted friendship, and pick up where their ancestors left off. I've read 3 books so far; I hear there's one more coming out next year.

11) Guide duology by Mackenzi Lee. Tongue-in-Cheek Historical about 18th century siblings on a Grand Tour. I've read the first book, and the second is coming out in October.

12) Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire. Fantasy novellas about a boarding school for children who have returned to our world from portal fantasies and are having trouble with the transition. I've read 3 novellas; next one is due out in January.


Adult:

13) Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. I've read 9 books and a short story so far. Book 10 is out in early 2019.

14) Siri Paiboun Investigations by Colin Cotterill. I've read 12 books and am waiting for book 13 next month.

15) Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. There are 21 books in this series so far; I have read 16.

16) World of the Five Gods series by Lois McMaster Bujold. I've read 3 books and 5 novellas and am waiting to see if there will be more.

17) Elemental Blessings series by Sharon Shinn. I've read 4 books so far and am waiting for the 5th and (I presume) final book.

18) MaddAddam trilogy by Margaret Atwood. I've read 2 book and have 1 to go.

19) The Rook Files by Daniel O'Malley. I've read 2 books and am waiting to see if there will be more.

20) The Expanse series by James A.A. Corey. I'm reading book 3 right now; there are 7 books out so far.

21) Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss. I've read book 1 and have book 2 on my series challenge list. There's a novella, too.

22) Wayfayers series by Becky Chambers. I've read 2 books; book 3 came out this past month.

23) Her Instruments series M.C.A. Hogarth. I've read 2 books; there's one more book and I think a novella.

24) Shades of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab. I've read 2 books and have 1 more to go.

25) The Murderbot Diaries series by Martha Wells. Sci-Fi novellas about a cyborg security unit on a quest for redemption and self-determination. I've read 2 novellas and there's a third coming out this month.

26) The Interdependency series by John Scalzi. Sci-Fi epic about an interstellar society in jeopardy because the natural phenomenon that allows for space travel is changing. I've read the one book that's out.

27) Earthsea Cycle series by Ursula K. LeGuin. Classic second-world Fantasy series set in a world that is mostly ocean with some scattered islands. I reread book 1 this year, and I've also read a book of short stories set in this world. I believe there are 4 more books to the series.

28) Species Imperative trilogy by Julie E. Czerneda. Sci-Fi about a female biologist who gets swept up in an interstellar search to stop a life-annihilating plague. I've read 1 book so far.

29) London Celebrities series by Lucy Parker. Contemporary Romances set in the London theater scene. I've read 2 books and there's 1 more out.


Comics:

30) Saga. I've read the first 7 volumes and am waiting for the 8th to be released.

31) Ms. Marvel. I've read 6 volumes and am waiting for the 7th to be released

32) Giant Days. I've read 5 volumes and am waiting for the 6th to be released.

33) Jedi Academy. I've read 6 books. I'm not sure it's continuing, but I kind of assume it'll go 9 books like the movies.

34) Amulet. I've read 7 volumes and am waiting for the final volume to be released.

35) The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. I've read 8 volumes so far.

36) Lumberjanes. Also read 8 volumes so far.

37) Monstress. I've read 2 volumes, and a third is coming out this month.

38) Paper Girls. I've read 4 volumes so far.

39) Lucy and Andy Neanderthal. I've read 2 books and the third is coming out this month.

40) Avatar: The Last Airbender. The Son and I watched the series last year, and now I want to read the comics, which follow the characters on adventures beyond the timeline of the show. The volumes are huge and beautiful and expensive, so I'll probably go through them at a rate of one Christmas present for The Son per year. I've read one so far.

41) Runaways. I somehow missed this comic series before this year, which is weird because it was created by Brian K. Vaughan, author of Saga and Paper Girls. The first I heard of it was when the latest volume, written by Rainbow Rowell, hit the shelves. I wanted to read it because duh, Rainbow Rowell, and wound up reading all the back issues to catch up. It's about a group of teens (plus one pre-teen) living in the MCU who discover their parents are super-villains. I've read 2 big omnibus bind-ups and 7 comics volumes so far. The next volume comes out in Oct.

42) The Backstagers. Cute comic about 5 boys in stage crew at their all-boy high school and their adventures uncovering the secrets of the alternate dimension back stage. Queer-positive and a little manic. Basically, it's a male version of Lumberjanes. I've read 2 volumes and am waiting for the 3rd to be released next spring.


Web Comics:

43) Check, Please! 

44) Gunnerkrigg Court. 

45) Stand Still, Stay Silent.

46) Dicebox.

47) Vattu.

Hey, I cut down by 2 since last year's list!

No comments:

Post a Comment