Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Last 90

Yesterday, the words were flowing. I began a scene in which Willa confronts The Big Demon from her past. It's a dialogue scene, and I had a good idea of what needed to be said and by whom. But I never had a clear image of where it took place, other than that heights were involved. I looked through my folder of cool landscape images from deviantart.com, and one jumped out at me: a rope-and-plank bridge suspended over an angry sea. So that's where my confrontation takes place, and the words flew from my fingertips as I set the scene and let the conflict build between the two characters. Man! I thought. Writing a thousand words a day is easy! Why did I stop doing it in July?


Within seconds of me finishing this thought, The Son came down with a stomach bug, the details of which I'll spare you, but suffice it to say I didn't sleep well, and then I had all kinds of housework to catch up on today, and we went to the Shriner's parade in town, and it was all very distracting. Also, the scene got more complicated as the conflict intensified, and I found myself writing "clusters" of dialogue with no real idea (yet) of how they fit together. So right now it's all jerky with no logical transitions between conversational topics.

I put in a reasonable amount of time on it today, despite everything, and I keep feeling like I've written a ton. But then I check the word count and moan, "That's IT?!"

11:13pm, and 90 words left to go to make my 1,000. Off I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment