Thursday, April 18, 2013

Shelf-Sitter Challenge: Book 5

It's been a crazy week of school vacations, a mild illness for The Son, and two hospitalizations for The Husband, so I've been doing far more reading than writing, I'm afraid. Book 5 of the challenge is also book 5 of a series: Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony by Eion Colfer.

I ripped my way through the first three Artemis Fowl books several years ago, then saw books 4 and 5 for ridiculously cheap at a library book sale and snatched them up. But for whatever reason, #4 (The Opal Deception) left me cold, and it's taken me well over a year and this challenge to get me to pick up the next one. In fact, if I hadn't already bought The Lost Colony, I would have abandoned the series.

Well, hooray for buying ahead and hooray for reading challenges, because I enjoyed this one just as much as the first three. There's not a lot to say about it; it's an Artemis Fowl book, which means child geniuses, clandestine operations, high-tech weapons, fairies and other magical creatures, a small dose of potty humor (to delight the twelve-year-old boys), and a rather larger dose of wry Irish humor (because Colfer is a wry Irishman and can't help himself).

Now I'm wondering what the hell my problem was with Opal Deception. I can't remember it that clearly, although I do recall finding the character of Opal annoying, and that it just seemed lackluster, like going through the motions of an Artemis Fowl story. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood to read it.

I was in the right mood this time. And I've added book 6 to my TBR list.

No comments:

Post a Comment