Thursday, March 31, 2016

Listify Life: Week 2

Books I'd Like to Live In For a While:

1) My Family and Other Animals series by Gerald Durrell. These are some of my most beloved books from childhood, and my frequent comfort reads. I would love to live for a while in the daffodil-colored villa on the Greek island of Corfu in the 1930's, having breakfast on the veranda with the charmingly eccentric English expatriate Durrell family and their never-ending parade of kooky houseguests, and marveling at Gerry's menagerie.

2) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I ask you: who would pass up a chance to visit Le Cirque des Reves? No one I want to hang out with, that's who.

3) Elemental Blessings series by Sharon Shinn. The belief system and magic in this world are just gorgeous. I want to pull my own blessing coins!

4) "A Fisherman of the Inland Sea" by Ursula K. LeGuin. Slightly cheating since it's a novella and not a novel? Whatever, it's LeGuin, so chyeah I want to live in one of her worlds. Planet O is a fascinating place: agrarian yet devoted to education, clannish yet pacifist, with foursome marriages and a religion with no gods. I'd want to live among them and produce the definitive anthropological study of their culture.

5) Castle Waiting by Linda Medley. For real, I could bring my family here and live happily for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment