Monday, July 16, 2012

Confession Time

I'm having a poorly-timed motivation dip.

I was buzzing along, seeing the end of Act II on the horizon, when I had an off day, a day during which I was too busy to write during the day and too tired and lazy to write at night. And then I stumbled onto The Moth's storytelling series, and have pretty much spent every spare moment either listening to stories or reading Old Man's War. So now, smack-dab in the middle of the month when I'm supposed to be powering through to the end, I'm behind on word count, other people's stories have pushed my own out of my head, and I'm staring down a newspaper article deadline.

*sigh*

I'm back on the horse today. I wrote over a thousand words and finished part 3: "Mirror". I also got half my article written. Tonight I'm going to review my scene list for Act III and work on a phase outline for the first few scenes.

There are 15 days left in the month, and I have 22,500 more words to write to reach The End. That's 1,500 words a day. NaNo pace, basically. But there's a second confession: I have an ace up my sleeve. Remember waaaaaay back when I decided to try and write the 6 key scenes first? And I fell on my ass after three of them? Well, two of those were what I thought was the climax, and the closing-- at least 5,000 words worth. I've changed my mind about the climax, but the scene I wrote for it back then still pops up near the end of Act III. Both will need to be edited, but it will definitely help the word count situation to be able to cut and paste them in.

Goal for tomorrow is to start part 4-- for now titled "Crown"-- and write at least 1,000 words-- 1,500 if my article doesn't need much editing.

And I think I'd better do a daily goal check-in until I'm back on track. Which means I'll see you back here tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment