Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Progress Report

I did two hours of fiddling with the opening scene today. First I read it over and smoothed out anything that seemed awkward. Then I removed every adjective and adverb from the first five pages and considered each one individually. I probably eliminated a third of them, replaced another third with a stronger word, and kept the remaining third the same.

I have a few more exercises I'd like to do with the opening pages, but I figure I should see if I'm at least on the right track with it first. I posted the first 1,300 words to AW. I'll give it until Thursday morning to accumulate feedback.

In the meantime, I'm going to:

a) do the adjective/adverb exercise with the second half of the opening scene.

b) patch a gap in the MS where I tore out a few paragraphs and transplanted them to the opening.

c) read over the query and maybe tweak a few lines.

d) read the synopsis and evaluate how much work it still needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment