Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Crazies

Words today: 286

Total: 7,655

Now I remember why I'd planned to take the week before Christmas off. I'm baking, cleaning, shopping, decorating, wrapping presents... and still doing some tutoring... and The Son has no school Friday. It's 11:27pm and I just finished writing my measly little chunk for the day.

Ezra and Lark have backed off, which is a relief; for a few days there I was making a lot of notes about their relationship and was really consumed with their story, to the point that I started a playlist* for them. Fortunately, I have no idea what their external plot is, so I wasn't tempted to start writing. Now, even though the words aren't flowing, my focus has sharpened back on Willa and Akenam. They won't cross paths again for another 10,000 words or so, but I want to be buzzing on their vibe when they do.


*Ezra's love theme is "Anyway That You Want Me" by The Troggs, which manages to be deeply romantic and kind of dirty at the same time:

anyway that you want me
anyway that you'll take me
anyway that you'll make me be part of you
anyway at all

Lark's is "The King of Carrot Flowers, Part 1" by Neutral Milk Hotel:

and this is the room 
one afternoon I knew I could love you
and from above you how I sank into your soul
into that secret place where no one dares to go

And if I had to sum up Ezra in two lines from a Led Zeppelin song:

in the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man
now I've reached that age I try to do all those things the best I can

No comments:

Post a Comment