Saturday, December 11, 2010

Finding the Time

6,122/15,000 words edited in December.

2,017/3,000 words cut from Act I.

*

As I believe I've mentioned, I've been working on this novel for a wicked long time, and for years of it, I didn't have much in the way of Real Life (TM) commitments. Well into my 30's, I was a loosely employed stoner slacker with a long-distance boyfriend and a limited social life. Now that I have a husband and a kid and a house and a part-time job and a web of mom-friends and am expected to bake for nursery school fundraisers, I wish I could go back in time and kick my own ass for not getting more writing done when finding the time for it wasn't such an issue.

I've also alluded to The Husband's health issues. He's been in the hospital since before I began this blog. I haven't gotten into the details, because they're boring and complicated and depressing and don't have anything to do with writing. Except for the fact that spending two weeks at the bedside of someone who just had major bowel surgery offers you more time for writing than you might imagine.

But now that's done with: The Husband's been moved to a rehab facility (cue Amy Winehouse; "They tried to make me go to rehab...") for intensive PT and OT, and The Parent, who's been staying with me since Thanksgiving to fill in the childcare gaps, has gone back to her regular urban retiree life. And thus has my copious writing time evaporated.

So it's back to the grind of making time for it, even when the needs of sick husband and 4-year-old and Christmas and nursery school fundraiser beckon.

No comments:

Post a Comment