Sunday, December 5, 2010

Speaking of Titles...

Titles are a bit of a touchy subject for me. You'd think I'd have found the perfect one by now, since I've had like a century to mull it over. I've begged my subconscious to let go of the perfect, brilliant, evocative title I know it must have locked away somewhere, but my subconscious is apparently holding out for cash.

Titles the novel has worn but outgrown:

It Comes With the Territory
Ruyadan
The Ghost’s Story
Where the Lightning Strikes the Water
Antlan
Earth Beneath My Feet
More World
The Thread of Revelation


and probably more I'm forgetting.

Then the novel went naked for a while. I got really cranky about my inability to come up with a decent title, and for a long time just thought of it as The Novel, or TN.

Now, at long last, I've come up with another good-enough-for-now title: Twelve Names. My heroine is in fact known by twelve different names at different points in the story, and uses these names as the frame on which to hang to story of her life. I'm not madly in love with it, but I can live with it if this turns out to be the title that sticks.

And it has the selling point of sharing initials with The Novel, so I can still refer to it as TN.

1 comment:

  1. Twelve Names is the best of them, I think, with the possible exception of The Earth Beneath My Feet. I think either of those is actually a really, really good title. And I think anyone who titles a story before they finish (with the possible exception of those who thought of the title before the story) are miracle-workers. "What the hell do I call this?" is the most common question in my writer's group.

    ReplyDelete