Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Slow, but Painful

That's how The Husband answers me whenever he's fixing something and I ask how it's going.

And that's how rewriting the stupid dialogue in this poopyhead scene has been. I've just been having this big mental block about it. I can hear Bresher's voice in my head, so I should be able to just pull up the scene, erase his dialogue, and fill in what I hear. Like taking dictation from the Universe. Is that so much to ask? And yet somehow it wasn't working out that way.

Until a brilliant thought struck me. "Hey! If it's not working like this, why don't I try working on the scene in a different way?"

Mmm-hmm. Only took me three days to come up with that one. 

So I opened a new file and tried just writing the dialogue and nothing else, two disembodied voices having a conversation. And that sucker flowed from my fingertips! I'm just about done, and then I'm going to go back and retrofit the scene with the new dialogue.

Moral of the story: if something isn't working, try a different approach. I know. Aren't you glad you have me here to tell you these things.

The Husband has a ct scan tomorrow, which means many hours at the hospital without The Son, and the possible chance of sneaking some writing time. I'm bringing my laptop and NOT the book I've nearly finished reading (Gifts, by Ursula K. LeGuin), in hopes of making the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment