Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Since the Beginning of Time

So I've been writing this novel since the beginning of time. 

Seriously, no matter how long it's taking you to write your novel, no matter how convoluted the process, and no matter how much of a slacker you've been about it, I promise you that it's taken me longer, my process has been more convoluted, and I am definitely more of a slacker than you. Read my blog, and feel better about yourself as a writer and a person. You're welcome.

I'm not even going to confess here the year in which I began this novel. I'm too embarrassed. Maybe when I get to know you better.

At the moment I'm 25,110 words into draft three, and rapidly approaching the end of Act I. I did a half-assed modified-goal NaNoWriMo, and edited 15,000 words in November (despite dealing with a 4-year-old's birthday party, hosting Thanksgiving dinner, and my husband having major bowel surgery, so I'm happy with that 15,000!). My goal for December is to match that.

And my goal for life is to finish this damn book already.

Wanna come along for the ride? 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got a solid plan and you're working hard! I worked on my first novel at least 5 years BEFORE 2003 when I finally said I was going to finish it. Then I threw it out and rewrote it 3 times over the next 3 years. It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you get there and keep growing.

    I hope your husband is recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragment, Joely! I do feel some pride that I've never given up on this story, even when I've put it down for months or, God help me, YEARS at a time. At this point I know I'll get there; I just might be 65 by the time I type "The End". ;)

    ReplyDelete