Saturday, December 4, 2010

Relic

If we're going to be hanging out together, I suppose I should take a moment to explain the title of this blog.

I've always had this image in my mind that I was walking along in the desert and felt something hard under my feet. I started to clear the sand away, and realized there was something big buried there. Ever since I've been out there with my digging tools and little brushes, clearing the sand away from this enormous, intricate artifact.

And I made discoveries as I excavated. What I thought was one story is actually a vast world with 5,000 years of history, and many stories to be told. Sometimes my assumptions about what a partially-uncovered piece meant were completely wrong, and as I dug further I'd suddenly understand: no, no, that's not it at all. THIS is why that piece looks like it does!

I was a little creeped out to discover that Stephen King also describes stories as relics. I felt like kind of a weirdo for thinking of it this way, but it seems there are at least two of us out there, digging away in the desert.

*

2,549/15,000 words for December.

No comments:

Post a Comment