Friday, December 10, 2010

Soundtrack

I always feel a little jealous of novelists who can write to music. 99% of the time, I need silence to concentrate, and the 1% has to be music without lyrics, or with lyrics in a language I don't speak at all. I do have a few songs that I think of as being on my "novel soundtrack", but I'm not able to take inspiration from them while actually writing. It's kind of a bummer.

I love to listen to my soundtrack songs and daydream about TN while I drive, but I haven't been able to do much of that for approximately 4 years, 2 weeks, 6 days, and 5 hours-- which by sheer coincidence is how long I've been a mother. With all the craziness around The Husband's hospitalization, I've spent a lot of time in the car lately, and weirdly enough, it's been time in the car without The Son in the back seat, wanting to discuss the meaning of the Universe or demanding to hear "Puff the Magic Dragon" AGAIN. So I've been driving, listening to my soundtrack and keeping the story simmering on my mental back burner, and I think it helps me to slip back into the world of TN more quickly when I do actually sit down to write.

The songs that inspire me to dream about some part of the story:

El Condor Pasa -- Simon & Garfunkel
Can't Find My Way Home -- Blind Faith
Jack-Ass -- Beck
Most of the Time -- Sophie Zelmani
Concerning Hobbits -- Lord of the Rings soundtrack
Fuse Box -- Monsoon Wedding soundtrack
Aaj Mera Jee Karda -- Monsoon Wedding soundtrack

No comments:

Post a Comment