Friday, January 14, 2011

I Got a Present Last Night...

...and I'm using it to write this post! Yes, a NEW LAPTOP! (I guess I didn't suffer for my art for all that long.) I never named my old one, since it was a hand-me-down from The Husband, but I think I'm going to call this one Oberon.

I took The Son to "lunchtime storytime" at the library today, and while he ate PBJ and listened to stories I jotted down a rough outline for the next ~2,000 words of EN. I need some kind of guide to keep me from wandering too much. I looked over the last draft and there's just nothing usuable for this section; this part of the story's changed too much. But there's a big turning point scene coming up that I'll be able to edit, rather than create from scratch.

Speaking of The Son... he knows I'm writing a book, and yesterday while I was working he came and sat on my lap and told me he wanted to write one, too. He's drawn pictures and then made up stories about them, but this was his first story that originated in words. He dictated most of it, but typed his own name.

Here it is (name changed to an initial to protect the innocent, and exclamation points used wherever he yelled):

Once upon a time, there was a boy named M. One day, M. thought of something he never thought of before. He thought he'd build a rocket ship! He did make a rocket ship-- all by himself! M. flew in his rocket ship, all by himself, to the bad guys' houses, to destroy them. And they were fast asleep. So he tried to be quiet. M. talked to the bad guys' mama, and the bad guys got sucked up into a vacuum cleaner! And then he left, and told his mama what he did. Mama said, "Oh, you didn't, M."


The climax is a little thin, but I think it's actually pretty solid apart from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment