Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Limping Back; or, Adventures of a Bookslut

I've officially fallen behind. Yesterday was a total bust: we had a snowstorm, I spent an hour of my precious kid-at-school time on the phone with the insurance company, The Son AND The Husband were both having behavior issues, and I have a cold and was hitting the NyQuil by 8:00pm. I wrote not a single word.

Today it seems to be flowing again; I've written over a thousand words so far today and have another hour+ to write before I have to get ready for tutoring gig #1. It'd be great if I could get 2,000 total today and make up some of that lost ground, but we'll see. Just glad to be writing again!

I did a read a lot yesterday, despite everything. Maybe I just needed to fill the well. I'm being a bit of a bookslut right now. Usually I prefer book serial monogamy, but my reading list currently shows FIVE books "in progress":

The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie. Started this in late summer but have bogged down twice. I love Salman Rushdie, and in another life I would marry him and have his slightly demonic-looking babies... but there's always this point about 75-100 pages into his books where I start to feel overwhelmed and overstimulated, like I really am standing on a street corner in India. I have every intention of finishing this, though, since, as I said, Salman's my man.

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Read about a quarter of it and then lost interest, but haven't abandoned hope of finishing it one day, if for no other reason than I have yet to see anything but lavish praise for it.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. For my book club. It's good. I'm almost done with it.

The Old Silent by Martha Grimes. I found this in the ladies' room at the hospital* when The Husband was there for his last ct scan. It's a detective novel, which is not my usual thing at all (I think I last read one over 20 years ago), but I started it and got sucked more than a quarter in already. I'll give it to The Parent when I'm done (if she hasn't already read it-- she's a detective novel fanatic).

Lady Doctor Wyre by Joely Sue Burkhart. Advance copy, baby! Erotic Science Fiction Romance? Jane Austen meets Dr. Who? Yes, please! I'll be reviewing it here, so keep your eyes peeled. All five of you.


*with an appointment card stuck in it-- NOT being used as a bookmark, just stuck in the back as a place to keep it-- that indicated the book had been sitting on top of that paper towel dispenser for nearly two months. If I'd thought there was any chance that the owner would ever come looking for the book, I never would have taken it. I didn't steal the book, is what I'm saying, even though I suppose technically I should have turned it into lost and found or something. But what would have happened to it then? At least now it's being read, which is as Martha Grimes intended it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment