Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Bit o' Progress

Grandparent visit + bringing my laptop to the library = finished the scene. Whew. Feels good to make some progress at last! And good to be sunk back into the story world. I pasted the rough draft of the next scene into the document and fiddled with it a bit, but it's very far off from what it needs to be, and I really need to look at the scene sheet (which I forgot at home) and work out a better outline for it before I proceed. But I'm hopeful that I'll be able to take better advantage of the time I do have this week.

The Son has swim lessons every morning M-Th, and karate class T-Th afternoon; if I bring my laptop and act antisocial with the other parents, that's three hours of writing time. My mother-in-law will take him for an afternoon so I can tutor, but maybe I can squeeze in another hour of writing in between students. I think my friend M. plans to still do our weekly childcare swap even though she doesn't have work, so that's another 2-3 hours. Add in a few hours for afternoon rest times and one evening of not hanging out with The Husband, and that's a respectable 12 hours for the week. I would love, love, love to be done with this second draft of Act I by then, but that may be pie in the sky. I just feel like it's crawling.

I'm trying to remember what a mess my first drafts usually are, and that what I'm producing now is at least as good as my second draft usually is. So the slower pace is because I'm doing the work of two drafts instead of one. But still: I'm antsy to move forward. Exciting things are afoot in Act II!

No comments:

Post a Comment