Wednesday, February 1, 2012

State of the Novel Address

New month, new goals.

Here's where I'm at:

I have detailed (to say the least) scene sheets for the 15 scenes/sections in Act I. The first nine or so scenes are in pretty solid shape; I just need to add some details, drop some hints, heighten some characterization and conflict. I've been going through those at the rate of one a day.

Scenes 10-11 are where it really started to go off the rails. I'm anticipating needing two days apiece to overhaul them.

Scenes 13-15 are unwritten. At least two days apiece to write.

I'm on Scene 4 today. So that leaves a minimum of 2.5 weeks to finish up with Act I.

I'm feeling good about this process so far. Although the writing is somewhat plodding, this first draft is more organized, coherent, and focused than Eleven Names ever managed to be after a zillion years and at least four drafts. I think crazy-person outlining may turn out to be my saving grace as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment